The Smart Growth Economic Development Coalition has presented a report to the incoming Christie/Guadagno Administration in which it recommends 21 action items to reenergize New Jersey’s economy. The report can be viewed by clicking here.
The top-five recommendations include the following concepts:
- Overhaul the State Planning Process: Create a Master Plan for New Jersey’s Future.
- Consolidate and Streamline the Business Retention and Recruitment Process, the Financial Incentives Process, and the Land Use Permitting and Approvals Entitlements Process.
- Analyze New Jersey’s Tax Structure Against Competitor States and Craft a Realistic Plan for Reducing Taxes as the Economy Improves; Start Now by Symbolically Eliminating the Punitive “Headquarters Tax”.
- End the Practice of Last-Minute Re-Zonings; Abolish the “Time of Decision” Rule.
- Prepare for the Expansion of the Panama Canal: Immediately Formulate Definite and Realistic Plans for Eliminating the Bayonne Bridge by 2014, then Create Additional International Free Trade Zones.